Translate

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Why Bless the U.S.A.?


The star and stripes forever
For the last several days I have struggled with what to write with regard to the celebration of the U.S.A.'s independence. The two things that I've struggled with the most are: number one, our country is getting farther and farther away from what our founding fathers intended its destiny to be. And, number two, I have many friends and acquaintances on Second Life who are from other countries. It is clear to me that many misjudge the United States and base their opinions about her on what our own media tells them.

With regards to our nation's state of affairs, let me make it very clear that my agenda here is far from political. Webster's dictionary describes "Patriotism" as a noun (a thing) "to devote love, support and defense of one's country; a national loyalty." Without question I believe that anyone should have a patriotic spirit for whatever country in which they are born. However, I must admit that when I
When I point like this there are three fingers pointing back at me.
observe some of the things that our own nation has done in the past few years I do feel shame. 
I don't have to list those decisions to make my point valid. Suffice it to say that although I have felt much embarrassment, I have not felt enough of it to drive me from her shores. It seems that a people who have been raised on the foundation of freedom in almost every regard, can also become so full of ingratitude and selfishness that they quench the very freedom they live in. No sooner do I feel disgrace for my own people's actions, then something happens to bring tears of pride to my eyes and lift my head once again. Our people will risk their own lives to rush into a burning building to save perfect strangers. We will give the shirt off our back to give a homeless person warmth. Or what about that college coach who gave his kidney to a walk on prospect of average skill, simply because his blood type matched. In his words, "It was just the right thing to do."
Are you truly grateful? Yes? Then act like it!

To all of my friends and acquaintances from other countries around the world, if I believed 1/4 of what our own media tells me about our country I would leave. It's sad to say that the majority of our press and media is so biased and liberal you can barely trust a single word they write or say. I'm grateful that most of the people that I have met from other countries on Second Life are not close minded or ignorant enough to believe what they've been told. You are intelligent enough to find out for yourself. For that I give you the highest praise and sometimes wonder if I were in your shoes would I be so open minded.

Yes, America is fat with the greed that comes with abundance and spoiled with a freedom that she may very well lose due to her own complacency, ignorance, apathy and repugnant scandal. But she is still the land of the free and the home of the brave and I love her even with all of her flaws and pray that somehow in my little niche of the world I will know to do right with this freedom that God has granted us and I challenge my fellow Americans to do the same. I am grateful to a platform like Second Life where I can meet and become friends with some amazing people from all around the world. I can only ask you to forgive me for those times when I take for granted my freedom. Bear with me when I publicly ask God to bless the USA- because she really needs it.
Shamefully Proud American

A special thanks to Jules Catlyn with Surplus Motors for creating this amazing car:

And to Belle Roussel with Chop Zuey Couture Jewelry for creating this great necklace:

No comments:

Post a Comment